Palm Health Foundation has extended its month-long Let’s Move: Commit to Change Physical Activity Challenge beyond its original end date of March 31, 2020. Emphasizing the importance of exercise for good physical and mental health during the COVID-19 outbreak, the foundation is continuing the campaign through May 31, 2020.
The foundation encourages Palm Beach County residents to set a goal of at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day, every day and to log minutes on the Let’s Move website at www.letsmovepbc.org. With gym closures and restrictions on group activities due to COVID-19, the foundation and its partners are sharing exercise tips and creating virtual opportunities for residents to keep moving on its facebook page at www.facebook.com/PalmHealthFoundation.
Staying active during a time of anxiety is important for physical and mental health. Research shows that exercise supports immune systems lowering risk for infection. It can also benefit mental health by lifting moods, reducing stress and improving sleep. Finding the motivation for exercise in a time of crisis can be challenging, but there are many ways people can incorporate movement into their new daily routines:
- Schedule a time each day for 30 minutes of exercise. Put a reminder on your phone to alert you when it’s time to get moving.
- Find free online workouts. Many fitness apps are offering free classes during COVID-19. FitOn is one example for a variety of workouts for every level.
- Incorporate movement into other activities. Walk during conference calls or exercise while watching TV.
- Connect with a friend through ZOOM or Facetime and work out together.
- Take walks or bike rides, keeping a safe distance from others in public places.
- Ask family members and friends to join you in committing to Let’s Move and motivate each other. Create competitions for most minutes or most consecutive days exercising.
“Staying active now is more important than ever to boost our mental health and strengthen our physical health,” said Patrick McNamara, president and CEO of Palm Health Foundation. “We’re all feeling the stress of COVID-19 and the challenge it has brought to our daily lives. Let’s Move is a way to keep our community connected and committed to staying healthy.”
Let’s Move sponsors include Joe DiMaggio Children’s Health Specialty Center, Valley Bank and Wisehaupt, Bray Asset Management.
About Palm Health Foundation
Palm Health Foundation is Palm Beach County’s community foundation for health. With the support of donors and a focus on results, the foundation builds strong community partnerships, respects diverse opinions, advocates for its most vulnerable neighbors and inspires innovative solutions to lead change for better health now and for generations to come. The foundation supports health equity for Palm Beach County residents of all backgrounds, heritage, education, incomes and states of well-being. Palm Health Foundation has invested more than $83 million in Palm Beach County health since 2001. For more information about Palm Health Foundation, visit palmhealthfoundation.org or call (561) 833-6333.